“You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya punk?” – Dirty Harry
Your state of mind can make all the difference in the world. To be wealthy, lucky, and successful you need to think wealthy, lucky, and successful thoughts. That is, you have to feel wealthy, lucky, and successful.
- A good attitude;
- A good mind;
- A strong work ethic;
- Peace of mind;
- Meaning; and
- Faith in the future.
If you have these things, and you apply them well, you will–almost without a doubt–be wealthy, lucky, and successful in the foreseeable the future. Below you’ll discover 20 ways to feel wealthy, lucky, and successful now, regardless of your current circumstances.
1. Make a List of Five. Make a list of five things that you want more of in your life, which don’t involve money. For example, more love, more serenity, and more laughter.
Then, make a conscious effort to be more loving, actively look for reasons to laugh more often throughout the day, and start a meditation practice. You’ll soon have more of what you want in your life, without having spent a penny. And that will make you feel wealthy, lucky, and successful.
2. Become Financially Literate. Regardless of the current size of your bank account, start learning about money–learn how to take care of it and how to make it grow. Do the following:
- Pick up a book about managing your finances, such as “The New Guide to Financial Freedom” by Charles Schwab.
- Take a personal finance class, whether in person or online.
- Set up a mock portfolio — choose a list of stocks and track their performance over a certain period of time.
Being knowledgable about money will help make you feel that you have what it takes to make lots of it and invest it well.
3. Go On a Rampage of Appreciation. Right now think of 100 things that you’re grateful for. Write them down. Then, read through your list and allow the feeling of gratitude to wash over you. It’s hard not to feel wealthy, lucky, and successful when you’re focused on all the good that there is in your life.
4. Help Someone Else. Realizing that you have more than enough is a great way to feel wealthy, lucky, and successful. The best way to realize how much you have–other than by feeling grateful–is by giving to others.
There are many ways to give to others: you can make a donation; volunteer your time or services; mentor an at-risk-youth; and so on. Whatever you have, share it with others, and notice how that makes you feel. Good, I bet.
5. Nurture a Positive Attitude. Having a positive attitude can help you feel lucky and successful. Look at the following:
- Negative Attitude: “It doesn’t matter what I do, I’ll never be successful.”
- Positive Attitude: “By adopting good habits and taking small steps in the right direction, I will succeed.”
Which of the two thoughts above is more likely to make you feel good about yourself? Which is more likely to encourage you to perservere, instead of giving up? Obviously, the positive one. Instead of telling yourself that you’ll never have what you want, nurture a positive attitude and tell yourself that by being resourceful and working hard, you can have everything you want.
6. Dress the Part. Neil Pattel, owner of the popular blog Quicksprout.com, wrote a post in which he explains that spending $162,301.42 on clothes made him $692,500. Why? Because the reality is that people make assumptions about you based on how you look and dress. If you dress well, others will assume that you must be in high demand and they’ll want to do business with you.
This doesn’t mean that you should go into debt in order to buy nice clothes. What it does mean is that you should accept the reality that people do judge a book by its cover, and buy–and wear–the best quality clothing you can afford. In addition, looking good will make you feel good about yourself, and it will make you feel more successful.
7. Treat Yourself to a Small Luxury. It’s essential to set money aside for a rainy day, for investments, and for your retirement. However, it’s also important to treat yourself to small luxuries once in a while. Here are some examples:
- Pamper your inner diva or divo (the male equivalent of “diva”) by spending the day at a spa.
- Indulge the serious artist in you by getting a Moleskine notebook and a fountain pen.
- Be a food snob–if only once in a while–and eat at the best restaurant in town.
Denying yourself what you want all the time will make you feel deprived, which is not conducive to feeling wealthy, lucky, and successful. Once in a while, buy the expensive chocolates, get yourself tickets to the opera, and have lobster for dinner. Small luxuries can give you a high return on your invesment in terms of how you feel and how you portray yourself to the world.
8. Let Go of 27 Things. Letting go of items and possessions which you no longer find beautiful or useful can help you to make room for good things to come into your life. Also, decluttering will help bring to your awareness the fact that you own a lot more things than you need, which will go a long way toward making you feel wealthy and lucky.
In Feng Shui–a Chinese philosophical system which examines how the placement of things and objects affects the energy flow in your living environment–27 is a lucky number. Do the following:
- Go through your living space and look for 27 items which you can donate, give away, or throw out.
- If you’re feeling particularly ambitious, spend the next nine days–nine is another lucky number in Feng Shui–decluttering 27 items each day.
9. Strip Experiences Down to Their Essence. Strip an experience that you want to have, but which you can’t afford at the moment, down to its core essence. As an illustration, if you really want to visit Italy, but you can’t afford to do so right now, ask yourself what it is about Italy that you really want to experience.
- Is it the food? Then start looking for the best Italian restaurant you can find within driving distance of where you live.
- Is it the art? Go to a museum.
- Is it the culture in general? Rent a couple of Italian movies, such as “La Strada” and “Profumo di Donna”.
Even if you can’t go to Italy at the moment, you can find ways to experience the things that you love about Italy, right now.
10. Start a Dream Jar. In my post, 14 Awesome Things You Can Do With Just $25, I explain that the way to finance your life goals is to start right away setting aside some money–even if it’s just one dollar a day–and placing that sum in a dream jar. Knowing that you’ve started saving for your dreams, even if it’s just a small amount, will help you feel that you’re on your way toward making those dreams come true.
11. Adjust Your Materialism Levels. It’s fine to want things. However, in today’s society people are incessantly bombarded with messages from marketers trying to sell everything from expensive colognes to insanely priced cars, which often creates a feeling of dissatisfaction among those who do not belong to the wealthy elite and who can’t afford these items.
If your levels of materialism have gone off the charts, you need to adjust these levels or risk never feeling like you have enough and never feeling satisfied.
12. Lack Is In Your Mind. Realize that a feeling of lack is all in your mind. There are 3 billion people in the world living on less than $2.00 a day. In addition, 1.4 billion people live on less than $1.25 a day. (Source). And you feel that you live in a state of scarcity because you can’t afford that leather jacket in the store window? You may want to rethink that.
13. Let Go of Your Need To Own Things. A while ago I was reading an anecdote about a group of tourists who were in Africa on safari. They were watching a beautiful sunset over a lake, when one of them said: “I would love to have a house overlooking that lake”. The guide that was with them pointed out that he had noticed the following about tourists to his country: when they experienced beauty, their first reaction was to want to “own it”.
Experience the beauty around you, and just let it be.
14. Nurture Inner Peace. By nurturing inner peace you’ll be creating calm and joy in your inner world, which will help you to feel good about yourself regardless of what may be happening in your outer world. Those who are spiritually rich feel wealthy, lucky, and successful even during the most trying of times.
15. Spend Time in Nature. Instead of going to the shopping mall, go to the beach. Instead of watching TV, go to the park, sit under a tree with a good book, and read. Instead of eating at the cafeteria, walk to an arboretum or a public garden near your place of work, and eat there. It’s hard to harbor feelings of lack when you’re surrounded by the abundance of nature.
16. Read Rags to Riches Stories. There are many biographies available of people who started out with little and ended up having a lot. Read these stories when you need inspiration. After all, if they could do it, why not you? Feel wealthy, lucky, and successful by reading about others who were once where you are and then went on to rise to great heights.
17. Learn Something New. Even if you’re not rich in material goods at the moment, you can be rich in knowledge. Explore Beethoven’s sonatas, read the classics, and memorize great poetry, such as “Daffodils” by William Wordsworths. After all, how can you not feel wealthy and lucky to be alive when you’re engulfed by one of Beethoven’s cello sonatas or dancing with daffodils.
18. Learn a Marketable Skill. Prepare yourself to be wealthy and successful in the future by learning a marketable skill now. The more valuable you are to others, whether it’s a boss or your clients, the wealthier and the more successful you’ll be. And the way to make yourself more valuable is by learning new skills.
19. Make a List of Ten Things Money Can’t Buy. The best things in life can’t be bought. Here are some of them:
- Friends who love you for who you are.
- A close-knit family.
- A spouse whom you would trust with your life.
If you have these things, you can be sure that you’re luckier and wealthier than most people living in mansions and driving around in Bentleys.
20. Set Goals For the Future. The fact that you don’t have the money to take singing lessons or visit Paris right now, doesn’t mean that you won’t have the resources to experience these things in the future. Accept where you are now, while you make plans for where you want to be in the future. Then, allow yourself to feel that you can, and that you will, have these things.
Live your best life by feeling wealthy, lucky, and successful. You can start with the 20 ways explained above.