In this post you’ll discover 23 wise ways to increase your happiness. They are the following:
- Nine Requisites for Contented Living
- The Six Most Drastic Mistakes
- Eight Ways to Stop Complicating Your Life
Nine Requisites For Contented Living
According to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe–the great German poet and polymath–, these are the nine requisites for contented living:
1. Health enough to make work a pleasure.
2. Wealth enough to support your needs.
3. Strength to battle with difficulties and overcome them.
4. Grace enough to confess your sins and forsake them.
5. Patience enough to toil until some good is accomplished.
6. Charity enough to see some good in your neighbor.
7. Love enough to move you to be useful to others.
8. Faith enough to make real the things of God.
9. Hope enough to remove all anxious fears concerning the future.
The Six Most Drastic Mistakes
About 100 years before the birth of Christ, Marcus Tullius Cicero listed the following as the six most drastic mistakes made by man:
1. The delusion that individual advancement is made by crushing others.
2. The tendency to worry about things that cannot be changed or corrected.
3. Insisting that a thing is impossible because we cannot do it ourselves.
4. Refusing to set aside trivial preferences.
5. Neglecting development and refinement of the mind, and not acquiring the habit of reading and study.
6. Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do.
Two thousand years later, we’re still making these mistakes (you’d think we would have learned by now). If you want to increase your happiness, stop making these mistakes.
Eight Ways to Stop Complicating Your Life
The image below shares eight simple ways to stop complicating your life, so that you can increase your happiness.
There you have it: words of wisdom for living your best life and increasing your happiness.
1. 37 Happiness Tips and Snidbits
2. 65 Happiness Quotes
3. How to Be Happy (Poster)
4. 40 Fun Ideas
Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to “Daring to Live Fully” by RSS or by email, and get free updates.