Money can buy lots of things, but there are some things money can’t buy.
Benjamin Franklin once said the following: “Money has never made man happy, nor will it; there is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more of it one has the more one wants.” Studies show that he was right, to a certain extent.
To be happy we need to have enough money to cover our basic needs. Worrying about having enough money to put food on the table, or being able to pay medical bills in case a family member falls ill, is highly stressful, and can negatively affect happiness levels.
In addition, a rising salary can impact our wellbeing, up to a certain amount (about $75,000). After that amount, having more money has less and less of an impact on happiness.
But the bottom line is that money can’t but it all. In fact, there are many things which are vital to our happiness and well-being that simply can’t be bought. Below you’ll find 25 things money can’t buy.
25 Things Money Can’t Buy
2. Money can buy a bigger house, but it can’t buy a home.
3. Money can buy acquaintances who will be happy to partake of your largess, but not friends who will stick by you through thick and thin.
4. Money can buy adulation but not respect.
5. Money can buy companionship (and sex), but not love.
6. Money can buy a position, but not the satisfaction of knowing that your hard work payed off, and that you’ve earned every promotion you’ve gotten.
7. Money can buy books, but it can’t buy knowledge, wisdom, and experience.
8. Money can buy a life of leisure, but it can’t buy purpose, passion, or meaning.
9. Money can buy the latest gadgets and the coolest toys for your children, but it can’t buy well-adjusted kids.
10. Money can buy someone’s services, but it can’t buy their loyalty.
11. Money can buy thrills and distractions, but it can’t buy serenity and inner peace.
12. Money can buy the trappings of high society, but it can’t buy character, integrity, morals, or class.
13. Money can buy flattery, but not self-esteem.
14. Money can buy the appearance of a happy life, but it can’t buy true happiness.
15. Money can buy material goods, but it can’t buy appreciation for the simple things.
16. Money can buy extravagant vacations to exotic places, but it can’t buy a close-knit family.
17. Money can buy designer clothes and make-up, but it can’t buy inner beauty.
18. Money can buy gifts for your significant other, but it can’t buy the intimacy that comes from getting to know someone really well, and being with someone who truly listens to you and understands you.
19. Money can buy jewelry, but it can’t buy self-love.
20. Money can buy solutions to problems, but money can’t buy the confidence that comes from mastering a new skill, or overcoming a challenge.
21. Money can buy tickets to expensive charity events, but it can’t buy the feeling that you get when you go out of your way to lend someone a helping hand, or make someone’s day a little brighter.
22. Money can buy expensive watches, but it can’t buy time.
23. Money can buy fancy $100-per-place-setting china, as well as etiquette lessons so you know which fork to use when, but it can’t buy manners, civility, and decency.
24. Money can buy experiences, but it can’t buy the mindfulness that is necessary so that you can be present, and enjoy whatever it is that you’re doing in the moment.
25. Money can buy big television sets and fast cars, but it can’t buy the well-being that comes from being able to manage and control your emotions.
George Lorimer once said the following:
“It is good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good too, to check up once in a while and make sure you haven’t lost the things money can’t buy.”
Live your best life by making sure that in your efforts to make more money, you’re not losing sight of those precious things that money can’t buy.
- 17 Ways to Be Kind to Yourself
- How to Fall In Love With Yourself
- How to Manage Worry – 8 Healthy Ways to Deal With Worry
- 8 Ways to Stop Taking Things Personally
Did you enjoy this article? Subscribe to “Daring to Live Fully” by clicking here and get free updates.